Thursday 7 March 2013

4d. My Proposed Award Title and Rational


My initial plan was to volunteer and gain some experience in Youth work, which would help me with my modules at University. 11 months on and my outcomes have changed, what started out as a way to gain credits has now changed into something I would like to pursue once I graduate. A year ago I would not have seen myself as a youth worker yet now I am one. My aim once I finish university was to become a drama teacher as I enjoy working with young people, now I would like to become a youth worker. 

Although I may not have read a lot of books on how to work with young people I feel that the time I have spent at the Riverside has helped me to learn things I may not have known previously. I am constantly learning new things at each session, even if it is something as simple as a new way to play football. The young people have taught me a lot; I now know what the ‘coolest’ words are. 

I am able to think on my feet more than before, as youth work is often unpredictable.  I feel that I have found something I really enjoy doing, working with young people has changed the way I think and act. 

Since the start of April 2012 my views on what makes a good youth worker have changed. When I first started at the Riverside I was much more reserved. I did not want to standout from any of the other youth workers. I had not worked with young people beforehand.   Youth work is now my current line of practice it is a very enjoyable experience. I aim to use as much resources and literature to improve my practice. 

As I previously gained a BA (HONS) in Drama & Theatre Studies, at the start of the Course I wanted to further my Drama skills. I originally wanted to combine my previous line of work with my current profession (youth work). After carefully weighing the Pros and Cons of having a BA (HONS) Drama & Youth Work, i stood to reason that I should remove Drama from the HONS title. 

Although I have done the odd  drama workshop here and there I do not think that that would be enough to base my BA (HONS) Degree on. It has been a while since I have been on stage and performed and taken part in  a production. Though it is a part of my life that I do miss but I enjoying being a youth worker, I feel as though my teachings will and have a lasting impression on some of the young people I have come across.

Looking at the long term aspects of having a BA (HONS) Professional Practice (Youth Work) would give me more opportunities, I would still be able to teach young people as well as work with children. Having a career in young work will provide endless opportunities through my professional career. 

With that said, thinking realistically as well as logically. My proposed award title would be BA (Hons) Professional Practice (Youth Work)

No comments:

Post a Comment